One of my favorite foods to have with meals is hummus! And I do make an excellent hummus if I do say so myself.
This recipe is from an Israeli cookbook and is delicious!
2 cups chickpeas (prepared from dry or canned- this is 2 cups of ready chickpeas)
5 TBLSP Lemon Juice
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves (2 tsp)
5 TBLSP Olive Oil
3 TBLSP Tahini (Tahini is sesame seed paste- easiest to find at nicer markets. This is optional but is delicious.)
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in food processor. Process until thick but creamy consistency.
2. You may need to add olive oil, garlic and salt, but taste it first. Olive oil will take away some of the tahini taste and make the hummus less thick.
This is just a basic recipe. Add anything else to hummus that sounds good. Here are a few ideas:
- Sun dried tomato basil (add sun dried tomatoes, basil, and onion to taste)
- Mexican flare hummus (onion, cilantro, salsa, and jalapeno if you have them)
- Red pepper (red peppers, onion)
It’s so easy to just add your favorite veggies, herbs, and spices to the basic hummus recipe.
Please try it and let me know how it goes. Let me know if you have any questions!