Last week I posted my favorite black bean burger recipe. The sweet potato chips I am about to share are my favorite side dish along those black bean burgers, grilled chicken, a beef hamburger, or any main entree really.
You will need:
2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes (count about 1 potato per person at the meal)
1. Preheat oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. They will cook well without parchment paper, but this makes clean up much easier. (Tip: to get parchment paper to stick to cookie sheet, spread a tiny amount of butter in each corner and press down parchment paper.)
2. Wash sweet potatoes and peel. After sweet potatoes are peeled, cut horizontally to create circle shaped chips that are about 1/4 inch thick. Each sweet potato should yield several chips.
3. Place sweet potato chips in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Only use enough olive oil to lightly coat the sweet potatoes after being mixed and tossed in the bowl.
4. Place lightly coated chips on the parchment paper so chips don’t overlap or do so just barely if necessary. Sprinkle salt and cinnamon on all chips, you decide how much flavor you want. I tend to do only a little bit of salt and lots of cinnamon! So good.
5. Place olive oil, cinnamon, and salt coated chips in the oven. Bake at 430 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until soft.
Enjoy! The parchment paper keeps the sweet potatoes softer while the bare cookie sheet makes them crispier and more chip-like. You decide what sounds best!
One 5″ sweet potato contains 112 calories, 4 grams of fiber, and a healthy dose of beta-carotene! This brightly colored vegetable is much healthier than a plain old potato and is great cooked like this or baked in the oven whole for about an hour and a half.
Get cooking! Let me know how these turn out.