You know how much I love black beans. And this recipe is EXCELLENT! This recipe can be found on Real Simple’s web site here.
1 15.5 oz can black beans
1 10 ox package frozen spinach, thawed and excess juice squeezed out
1 cup frozen corn
8 oz cheddar cheese (2 cups grated) I recommend lowering this dosage to majorly cut calories- try half that or less.
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
2 16 oz jars salsa (about 3 1/2 cups)
Optional: lime juice, garlic, and cilantro. We added them and it was delicious!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. This recipe calls for them in the slow cooker, which I’m sure would be delicious, but we decided to bake them.
2. In a medium bowl, mash half the beans. Add thawed spinach, corn, cumin, half the Cheddar cheese, and then add remaining beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
3. Spread 1 salsa jar in the bottom of 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
4. Divide mixture evenly into corn tortillas. Roll tortillas with mixture and place tortilla seam down in the dish. Top tortillas with salsa and remaining cheese.
5. Cook enchiladas uncovered in oven for 30-40 minutes, until bubbling.
If the mixture makes about 10 enchiladas, you are looking at anywhere from 200-250 calories per enchilada.
These are very filling, full of fiber and protein! Double the recipe and freeze a dish to bake later to make extra meals for the week!